Saturday, August 13, 2005

Choose your side. Cake or Pie?

Weekend Assignment #72: Which is better -- cake or pie? Explain your reasoning. Will you choose the moist sponginess and frosting-topped goodness of cake? Or will you side with those flaky crust-adoring, fruit-filling fanatics of the pie nation? You must choose one -- and only one! No trying to suggest that Boston Creme Pie is really kind of like a cake, or how cheesecake is actually not unlike a pie. Take a stand! Be true to your pastry orientation!

Extra Credit: Having chosen cake or pie, now admit your favorite variety of the dessert you did not choose. So if you chose cake, tell us your favorite pie. Prefer pie? Tell us your favorite cake.

I choose cake. Most (note that I said most) pies are dry and flaky. Mind you, on Thanksgiving I eat a slice of pumpkin pie out of tradition and I do eat cherry cheesecake (which is apparently a pie though I hadn't given it much thought before) but if made to choose between a slice of chocolate (or other deliciously flavored) cake and a slice of pie, I'll take the cake thank you very much. Not only do they taste delicious baked but, the batter is far better for a cake than a pie seeing as pies only batter is really dough and lacks enough sugar to be delicious.

That being said, if cheesecake is a pie, it's my favorite pie. If not, I guess I choose pumpkin pie with a dallop of whipped cream on top.

Now this assignment has me craving something sweet (aka a cake or the like) and so I'm going to go bake something for dessert. Anybody want to join me in a sugar coma? hehehe ^_^ I may just swoon at the thought of it. (Yes, I am reading Gone With the Wind. Yes, I am too involved in it. If I weren't involved in it, I couldn't get through the next 800 or so pages since my copy is 1024 pages long!)

Scarlett.... I mean, Vickey

No comments: